Tuesday, May 17, 2005

The Essentials: Number 1


Rush Posted by Hello

Rush - If you don’t know me personally, you may never understand my selection for number one. Trust me, I realize I am probably in the less than 1% percentile of civilization that would. But remember, I never said this list was to be considered the “Top Ten Bands of All-Time”. These are my ten essential bands. For me, Rush is the culmination of all my passion for music: virtuoso musicianship, thought-provoking lyrics and creative integrity. They may have only 3 or 4 “hit” songs in the opinions of most people but I have never been about the opinions of most people. How many bands do you know that you can’t say another band sounds like them? I always wanted to be a drummer in a rock band, fascinated by the instrument and those who could manipulate it. And for me, there is no better drummer than Neil Peart. Do you know that feeling when someone’s greatness makes you want to quit something but also strive to be better at it at the same time? This has always been the feeling I got from listening to Neil play. Then, to top it off, he writes the lyrics. The lyrics that first made me look at the world around me with a different perspective from what I had been taught or experienced. To look at the past and consider its impending effect on the future and consequences on the present. I may never be able to truly explain why I feel this way about Rush. And in some ways, I’m glad I don’t have to…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home